Thursday, July 21, 2011

For the Boys

I've been falling so far behind on my kids' updates that I've just started avoiding it all together. Ever have that happen? Something seems overwhelming and I get paralyzed by the thought of even starting, so I don't.

That works well. (note the sarcasm!)

And, so, we have a million pictures and very important information to document. I'll start with the info:

Peter:

  • During our move, Peter "helped" bring things up and down and up and down. He was so proud and really a great helper. Unfortunately, this gave him a sense of freedom that he'd not had before. (Please note, I am sharing these stories merely to document them...not so that you can tell me how dangerous this is! I know!!) For example:
    • One morning while we were still in limbo between 201 and 306, I left 306 to shower in 201 before the boys woke up. As I was drying off, someone tried opening the apartment door (which was locked). They tried again and then I heard a, "Mommy?" I opened the door to see Peter in his pajamas and green frog rubber boots.
    • Another morning, after we were fully settled into 306, Peter was awake bright and early. Awhile later, David woke up. I went in to get him up, changed, etc. Peter HAD been playing happily in the living room but when I came out with David 5 or 10 minutes later, Peter was nowhere to be found. Trying not to panic, I grabbed David, my keys and dashed out the door. Where did I find Peter? OUTSIDE on the playground!!!!!!!! My heart nearly stopped. We had a little visit and fortunately, he hasn't left the apartment or even opened the door since. 
  • He loves his wooden train set with Thomas trains. LOVES.
  • One day I found him sitting on the toybox in front of his window, pushing on the screen to see outside better. Again, trying not to panic, I explained how dangerous it was to push the screen, since we live on the third floor directly overlooking the parking lot. He'd surely die if he fell! Later that day I asked him to do something for me and he calmly replied with, "I can't. I'm dead." :)
  • We're working on potty training again. Here's how it works now. Sit on the toilet. For a long time. Nothing happens. Get up and put on underwear, go start playing and then I hear a, "Uh-oh! Accident!!"
  • He helped pick strawberries for our jam. He'd pick one, take a bite and then toss it into his bucket. :)
  • He LOVES going to G&G Prigge's cabin. He'll even jump off the dock into the lake (with help, of course) in the shallow area.
  • When we moved to 306, he was pretty confused and sometimes rather devastated. For a few weeks, he cried every time we got to the second floor and kept going up. One morning he came into my bedroom before I was up and said, "Mommy, go back to big apartment." If only he knew how badly I wanted to be able to do that. Fortunately, he has adjusted now.
  • He loves to mimic David, even when (or should I say especially when?) David's doing something naughty and Peter knows better. Boys! :)
  • He's still dramatic and cautious.
  • His favorite playground toys are: swings, slides and the spiral climbing thing. That was where I found him the morning he escaped to the outside. I still don't even know how he managed to open the outside door. It's HEAVY.
  • Still asks periodically if we're going to BSF. Two more months!!
  • He can put on his rubber boots and flip-flops alone. So big!
  • He, obviously, talks a lot. Hmmm...must be his father's son. ;)
  • One day when were out for dinner with my family for my brother Brad's birthday, Peter leaned over to me, rubbed my arm and said, "Mommy, you are so wonderful." I cried.
  • Likes hotdogs now. Will eat carrots and green beans. Will try just about anything and automatically says, "Mmmmm! Good!" The true test of his feelings is to offer more. Typically he'll give you a, "No, thank you!" without even missing a beat!
  • Rode the motorcycle ride at the Spudfest carnival 3 times. Free. What fun. He'd been drooling and dreaming about that ride all week.
  • Hates fireworks!
  • Loves to be tickled.
  • Loves to play with and boss his little brother. The other morning, David was pulling books off a shelf and Peter came over. Very gently he said, "No, no David. That's VERY dangerous." Peter put the books all back and stayed to make sure David wouldn't take any more off. Occasionally I'd hear a, "No, no" and then a, "Good job, David! I'm so proud!" He is learning and I'm so proud of him!
David:
  • Is ONE!
  • We had his birthday party the day of our big move back to 201, before we moved to 306. I kept the boys out of the way for awhile by taking them to the Spudfest parade in the morning. Then we had lunch, got everything unloaded from the trucks and I made him a cake! It was a memorable birthday party, to be sure. Everyone was there, he got to open presents, and he loved his cake! Perfect!
  • Cannot have dairy. He gets a red rash wherever it touches his skin. No milk, yogurt, butter, kefir, ice cream, whipped cream...sad! It has been suggested to me that he might be okay with homemade kefir and yogurt, though. I'm going to try!
  • He's (almost) walking! Without any coaxing, he'll stand up and take a few steps before he falls, gets up and tries again. We're guessing he'll be an old pro within a week.
  • Loves Peter.
  • Loves Daddy.
  • Loves Lucy.
  • Has a huge sense of humor. He laughs a LOT and often has a very mischievous grin/smirk/face scrunched look on his face. Funny boy!
  • Climbs on whatever he can reach. His favorites, currently, are Peter's bed, the kids' rocking chair and my beloved yellow chair.
  • Knows how to climb off the couch the "right" way - feet first, on tummy, although he prefers to attempt face first.
  • Says "uh-oh", "mama", "dada".
  • Still mostly takes two naps, but often because of where we are/what's going on, he only gets one.
  • Loves fireworks! On the 4th of July, he said, "ooohhhhhh" over and over. :)
  • Getting picky about foods, but will eat a lot of the foods he does like! Likes: pancakes, fruit, toast, eggs, hotdogs, muffins, cake, crackers, cucumbers, burritos, beans & rice, spaghetti (until he gets a big chunk of hamburger).  He's not a fan of pizza (probably the cheese), meat, most veggies.
  • At his 1 year checkup he weighed 17.8 lbs. He fell off the bottom of the chart for weight. We need to work on beefing him up, I think.
  • He has developed quite the little temper!
  • Is ALWAYS busy doing/going. Never stops moving except for sleep.
  • Loves to be tickled!

No comments: