Since I just posted a couple weeks ago, there isn't too much to tell....or is there? Let's see:
He can now sit all on his own. He will, of course, fall over if he forgets what he's doing and loses his balance - like if he suddenly lunges for a toy or if one of us is standing right next to him and he tries to crane his neck to see our faces. He definitely will lose his balance then! So, typically he just stares at our legs or feet. haha... :)
Remember when you were a kid and were fascinated with bubbles? And then when you realized if you were careful enough and pooled enough saliva in your mouth you could ALMOST make your own bubbles using your mouth and spit? Yeah...well.....Peter has already figured that one out!
He loves to turn the pages in books for me. I just read board books to him and I hold the page up a little bit so he can grab it and when it's time, he turns it! Of course, sometimes I have to read really fast to keep up, but...is it me or is this little man a genius?
Peter, if you haven't been able to tell from all the pictures of the two, absolutely ADORES Lucy! All she has to do is come waltzing into the room and his whole face lights up!
He is starting to outgrow Baby Einstein videos. Sadly enough he gets bored watching them! Okay, okay, just so you all know, it's not like we plop him down in front of the TV all day long or anything....but when I'm trying to make dinner and he just wants to be held, or when I'm trying to quickly pick up the house...a little video is great! His current video series of choice? Fisher Price's Little People. He could watch Eddie, Sarah Lynn, Sonia, Michael, Farmer Jed, Zookeeper, and everyone else allllllll day long! So, thanks Chrissy for giving those to us. :)
I know he's probably too young to start talking, but when he's babbling away, he often says "ma-ma" and I get so excited. I pretend he knows exactly what he's saying. I'm sure his first real word will be "da-da" or "Lucy" or something like that, but for now I can pretend.
One of our current frustrations is his sleep, or the lack thereof, at Grandma and Grandpa's house. He's starting to have a really hard time sleeping, well falling asleep, when he's not at home. We first noticed this when we were at the Iowa Conference last month. He sleeps just fine once he's asleep, but...sigh...it's hard. I work Tues-Thurs and the first two days consist of much crying at nap times. Finally by Thursday he's realized that it's okay to sleep at Grandma's house and that he won't miss out on too much and he goes down without a fight. But those first two days are a real challenge. So is traveling!
Last weekend we decided to surprise my brother Brad with a visit for his birthday. We also permanently brought my aunt and uncle's dog - now Brad and Kerri's dog - back down for them. Brad had no idea we were doing any of this. Our arrival didn't work out just how we had planned, but we did surprise him and we ended up getting to visit with the family of one of my former students from Pine Island. She is 21 already! I guess it helps that I first met Jamie when she was a junior, but still.....how are all these kids growing up so quickly? I'm pretty sure that many of my first students are all graduated from college and getting their own jobs now. Wow. That's weird. Just like when the babies you used to babysit are suddenly not babies anymore...but are graduating, marrying and having their own babies! Hmmm...think I'm starting to date myself...
On Monday evening, my friend Laura came over with baby Uriah - we hadn't met him yet! So, while the mommies and babies (and Lucy) hung out and went for a walk, the daddies went fishing. I love summer!
Oh, and remember my nice neighbor Lisa who loaned me her ladder when I got locked out of our apartment? She had her baby last week! Kaitlyn Grace is her name and she is a beautiful little girl!!!
Yesterday, Peter and I drove to the mall to see my friend Gretchen and her two darlings. She and her husband David recently moved to South Carolina and were home for a visit. Funny how you don't get much visiting time in when kids are in the picture! I think we have more productive conversations over the phone! But, it was wonderful to see them and meet their new (9 month old) baby and let them meet Peter. Too bad David and Luke were working...we missed having them with us.
We are hopefully planning a camping trip to the North Shore later this summer...all tips on camping with a baby are welcome! Not sure we know what we're getting ourselves into, but I'm sure it'll be a trip laden with memories!
My favorite time of the day is bedtime. That's the time when Peter is actually a snuggly little baby. We say goodnight to daddy and head into his bedroom for pajamas and a fresh diaper. Then we sit in the comfy recliner so he can eat his last meal of the day and then regardless of how restless and squirmy he was moments ago, as soon as I start praying with him, he stills. And nestled against me, we pray for our family and friends, I pray for Peter's life and thank the Lord for all His blessings and provision for us. We are such a blessed people...it's unfortunate that we forget so easily. And when we're done praying, I recite verses to Peter. I'm hoping that by the time he's old enough to talk, he'll have a wealth of wisdom already tucked away in his heart. Currently we're on John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only son. That whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life." and Proverbs 3:5,6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths."
While she may have more energy and love to share with the world than we'd like sometimes, Lucy is so good and patient with Peter. We have been blessed with a truly wonderful dog and we just love her all the more for it. Nicole, if you read this, thank you!





No comments:
Post a Comment