Monday, July 6, 2009

Fourth of July Weekend (and 6 3/4 months!)

Many, many things have happened since my last posting. This one is so very overdue so I will hit the highlights:

On June 6th, Peter got to go to a wedding for the first time. Our friends Matthew and Nancy got married, but since we were sitting in the back corner I did not get any good pictures. I think I deleted them all! However, Matt, Jen and baby Audrey were in town for the wedding and I got a good one of Audrey! I'll be sure to attach that picture. It was a beautiful wedding with lovely flowers, yummy food and a beautiful bride. The groom couldn't stop smiling, either! Congratulations!!!

A couple weeks later, I finally found an armoire for our TV, dvd player, vcr, tapes, dvds, cables, reciever, remotes, etc, etc, etc....so the three of us piled into Luke's Ford Ranger - Luke driving (my efforts driving a stick-shift vehicle have always ended terribly and sometimes rather dramatically...ask sometime about the time when we were driving to our birthing class...), Peter in the passenger seat and me in the backseat! Since it's an older truck, there are no airbags and the backseats flip down from the sides, not facing forward, so Peter had to sit in the front! That was a little weird, and since he could see me the whole time, he cried, so I had to duck down behind the seat so he couldn't see me. That was just too weird! We did end up, however, with a beautiful cabinet that very nicely hides all of our junk! Well, the tv junk, anyway...now what to do with the rest of it???????

Peter now rolls like crazy. If he's on the floor, he'll be halfway across the room before too long. He can even pull with his arms while also pushing with his feet and scoot himself forward a bit, too.

While he still LOVES to spit, he's also discovered his tongue and likes to make clicking sounds sometimes. But more often than that, he plays with his lower lip by sucking it in and then pushing it back out, over and over and over and over again.

He is able to sit, aided with my Boppy nursing pillow (it's shaped like a horseshoe) for long periods of time, and can sit completely alone for....about 10 seconds. But he is getting stronger and stronger. Each week he's able to do new things it seems.

A few weeks ago, Peter and I went on a marathon garage saleing spree one Thursday armed with a stroller, water bottle, snacks (for me) and $40. We bought puzzles, two plastic play barns with people and animals (I think they are both Fisher Price, one is just, well, a little dated and runs completely without batteries!), two shirts for me as well as a couple bracelets, a glass that matches our set to replace #12 that broke a year or so ago, LOADS of clothes for Peter including: more, bigger summer clothes, jeans, dress shirts, pajamas (fuzzy winter ones!), regular shirts and more things that I can't remember. We came home with $8 left over! I love garage sales. Oh, and, the dated Fisher Price barn without batteries that cost $.25? It's Peter's favorite!!!

We also went to Iowa Conference, a Bible conference our church has each summer, in June. It, too was, of course, Peter's first time there. We finally landed a really nice, albeit rather small, cabin and had a pretty good time. It's much different when one brings kids along - no more late nights at Happy Chef after bowling or mini-golfing or whatever is going on that night. Oh, well...I had a really good book along! Peter also spent two mornings during the morning session in the nursery. He did very well and I was quite happy.

Two weekends ago, Big Lake celebrated Spud Fest (ours is a community full of potato farms) complete with a carnival across the street from our apartment (fun...), fireworks and a parade. Well, that's just what we went to. The carnival was, well, a small town, overpriced, greasy food-filled, noisy carnival. With rides. Expensive rides. I wanted to go on the Tilt-a-Wirl so badly.....but instead I just enjoyed the ride from afar. Not quite the same. Peter, however, enjoyed his first parade with our friends Rebecca (her husband, Willie, is one of the community's potato farmers!), Courtney and James and their two darling kids - Corinne and Daniel. Peter was quite taken with Corinne...

That same weekend, Luke, at the prompting of something he read in his psychology textbook, decided Peter should try tasting something with a really strong flavor...something like....an onion. Well, we finally agreed on a lemon, sliced it up and let him have a taste. If I can get the video to load, I'll let you see his whole body shudder he does when trying something new. It's pretty funny!

And now we reach this past weekend - Peter's first Fourth of July! We spent the weekend at the cabin with family and friends. Luke got to try one of his "Bucket List" items - being on the fireworks crew! I was a little nervous, but he came back with no missing limbs or fingers and had a huge smile on his face. I guess the fireworks up in Garrison were especially spectacular this year!

Peter got to go on his first paddle boat ride, had his first taste of watermelon, pineapple and a host of other fruits and cooked carrots. We have this little mesh bag with a handle on it that you can stick any type of food into (within reason, of course) and then let them chew/suck on it. They are able to get any liquid out and all the flavor without any chunks that they might choke on. He did not get to see any fireworks as that is WAAAAAAY his bedtime and, quite honestly, I'm pretty sure he'd be a complete mess and terrified of the noise. He did, however, spend lots of time on the beach and with everyone there.

Picture time!

Hanging out while I wash the dishes.

Watching TV with Uncle Ben.

Baby Audrey!

Our new armoire that we had to drive to south Minneapolis, Peter in the front seat and me in the back to get...what a ride!

Typical guys. Heaven forbid they actually have to sit close enough to touch! :) Love you guys...

All clean!

Why is he happy? Because he's playing with his new barn!!!

Still playing, still loving.

Don't know why it wouldn't rotate this one the right way...

He JUST woke up.

Peter and Lucy in what is quickly becoming a typical pose around our home.

One night we had a rainbow...two rainbows!

See his teeth?

For whatever reason, Lucy likes to hang out back there in Peter's room.

My little brother. Isn't he so cute?

This is what the guys did most of the weekend at the cabin...

And this is what the kids and the moms did!

He isn't such a fan of cool lake water.

He didn't really like this either. Can't imagine why...I love it!

Eating breakfast with Auntie Kerri and Uncle Brad.

He really did not like his lifejacket...

Awww....

But he LOVED the boatride!

Getting ready for the fireworks!


Kyaking...beautiful cool morning.


Lucy just adores this game....jump off of the dock to retrieve a ball! Her pal (and twin?), Stewart is still on the dock. She beat him to it.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Amazing how much bigger he is in just the last month since we saw him! Love the pic of Audrey :) I need to go garage-saling now, sounds like you got some amazing deals.

Maria said...

I love reading all about Peter's firsts. He'll love to read them all some day, too. Great pics! I love the pic of Lucy in the air! Great seeing you last month.

Laura said...

Thanks for the update! We need to get together sometime soon so I can return all the clothes I borrowed. Uriah's a little too big for them now. Plus, you haven't met him yet, have you?